Busia Public Works CEC refutes claims of embezzlement

83
Busia CEC for Public Works Bernard Yaite in his office

Busia County Executive Committee Member for Public Works, Transport, Roads and Energy Bernard Yaite has refuted claims by a Member of the County Assembly that Sh3m meant for bridge construction in his ward had been embezzled.

Speaking during the burial of Dr John Micah Epus in Amagoro, Bukhayo North/Walatsi MCA in Nambale Gardy Jakaa alleged that Sh3m meant for the construction of Kapina bridge had disappeared.

“His excellency the governor Sospeter Ojaamong, Sh5m had been allocated for the construction of Kapina bridge in my ward but Sh3m had disappeared,” Jakaa told the County boss who was present.

The Governor in response told the MCA to tread carefully and avoid tarnishing peoples’ names without tangible evidence, “Stop playing populist politics and focus on oversight role,” he said.

Putting the record straight on Monday, Yaite produced the revised budget for the Financial Year 2016-2017 for the County Government of Busia dated 7th February 2017 with Sh2million allocated to the project.

He said claims by the MCA that Sh3m had been embezzled were a figment of his imagination. “It is clear that only Sh2m was allocated to the project under vote head 2220207 and not Sh5m as insinuated by the MCA,” he said.

The amount is not enough for the project. Instead of taking engineers to the site to give valuation report the MCA was now busy tarnishing my name and that of my Chief Officer,” he said.