One dead, many hospitalized after eating contaminated meat

85
Residents receiving treatment at Sirende Dispensary after eating contaminated meat
Residents receiving treatment at Sirende Dispensary after eating contaminated meat

A sombre mood engulfed Makhonge village, Sirende Ward in Kiminini Sub County in Trans Nzoia County after one resident died, and more than fifty were rushed to Sirende dispensary after eating contaminated meat.

According to villagers’ accounts, an infected cow was slaughtered by one of the residents, who afterwards sold the meat at a cheaper price. Some of the affected include school going children and adults who wanted to take advantage of the presented situation, not knowing the implications incurred.

The selling price was as low as Kshs 50, and the residents bought it hastily, in order to get ample time to prepare what they deemed a ‘delicious meal.’

“I bought the meat for Kshs 100 and rushed home to prepare it. I ate the meat together with my children, given that my husband had declined. After eating I had a nauseous feeling and started vomiting,” said Elizabeth Wekesa, one of the victims, “I was later rushed to the dispensary.”

One of the affected residents speaking to the press
One of the affected residents speaking to the press

Peter Wekesa, a resident from Bikeke, narrated how he too was affected by the contaminated meat, saying that he was forced to rush to the hospital after experiencing stomach pains.

While addressing the press, the doctor in charge Alex Barasa, disclosed that the cow had East Coast fever and that more than 280 patients had been affected. “For now, most of them are out of danger,” he added.