Following the cholera outbreak in Nairobi, Health CS Cleopa Mailu has ordered the immediate closure of Jacaranda and San Valencia hotels. So far, sixty-seven cases have been confirmed and six treatment centres established. A total of 101 patients have been admitted at KNH while four have died.
Health Services Director Jackson Kioko on Monday directed all County health departments to conduct fresh medical examinations before issuing any other certificates.
In a statement to media houses, Kioko noted all hotels must have a valid medical certificate of food handlers and solid waste disposal. “Health officials will make random spot checks to ensure compliance with this directive,” he said.
Nairobi Health CEC Bernard Muia said that three deaths were reported on July 14 and 96 cases of infection confirmed following the cholera outbreak.
Most affected areas in Nairobi include Mathare, Huuruma, and Mukuru Kwa Reuben in Embakasi.
The director also asked the health departments to inspect all hotels and eateries and examine food handlers in 21 days.
He said any individual or organisation wishing to outsource food for any function should notify the relevant department 14 days in advance to allow relevant inspections and approvals.
Cabinet Secretaries Henry Rotich (Treasury) and Adan Mohammed (Industrialisation) were among patients admitted at Nairobi hospitals last week with cholera. The two who had been attending a trade conference were taken to Nairobi Hospital.
A similar case of cholera was reported at Weston Hotel in Nairobi. Sick doctors posted on social media laboratory results showing they tested positive for cholera. It was believed the affected delegates contracted the disease at the hotel where they had been attending a week-long conference.