Faulty motorcycle fuel tank causes fire tragedy in Likuyani

349
The family incurred huge loses as a result of the fire
The family incurred huge loses as a result of the fire

A boda boda operator from Mtoni village, Nzoia location in Likuyani Sub County is nursing serious burns at Matunda County Hospital after the family house was razed by fire.

Speaking to West Media, Mrs Salome Muhonja, the victim’s mother, narrated circumstances leading to the sorry incident that occurred the previous night.

According to the mother, the son, Hillary Anduvate arrived early on the fateful evening before the owner of the motorbike called and
requested to have it taken to his place to prepare for mechanical service the following day.

“The motorbike’s fuel tank was actually faulty and was leaking,” noted Muhonja. Prior to returning the bike to the owner, Anduvate decided to empty the fuel tank to a washing basin.

“However, immediately after emptying the tank, the basin and motorbike burst into flames,” recalled the mother, adding the son incurred serious burns as he attempted to throw the burning motorcycle outside the house.

The boda boda rider escaped with serious burns on his hands and face,
while the mother and the victim’s siblings managed to escape unhurt.

The fire spread so fast before it engulfed the family’s house. Household property whose value was yet to be established was destroyed.

Muhonja said a table lamp was lit at that time, adding that it sparked the fire.

One of the nurses at the hospital facility revealed to journalists the
victim’s hands and face had incurred about 45 percent burns.

The victim was in stable condition, according to the nurse, who sought
anonymity.