Trans Nzoia cholera outbreak connected to contaminated water

299
Medical Superintendent Dr. Emmanuel Wanjala and Doctor Patrick Musita addressing the press
Medical Superintendent Dr. Emmanuel Wanjala and Doctor Patrick Musita addressing the press

At least two people have died after a cholera outbreak in Trans Nzoia County. Confirming the cases, medical superintendent of Kitale Referral hospital Dr. Emmanuel Wanjala said the hospital received 21 patients who were hospitalized on Monday this week with cholera cases. Ten were discharged yesterday, while two patients died.

He said among the confirmed cases, two are students from Kitale National Polytechnic, while some patients come from Kipsongo slum and other areas. The County Health Officer Nobert Musundi alleged the outbreak of the disease has been rampant because of the road construction going on. Sewerage lines have been destroyed as a result and water for human consumption has been badly infected.

He appealed to NZOWASCO which provides water for the County to make sure that the water provided for the residents is safe for human consumption. He said he has urged the contractors to repair the sewers and fix problems emanating from the aforementioned contamination of water, adding that it may lead to legal consequences.

 

Cholera patient being treated at Kitale Referral Hospital
Cholera patient being treated at Kitale Referral Hospital

He further pointed out that the County government has taken steps to ensure that retailers who sell food in stalls have the necessary documents that give them the authorization to operate their businesses, saying action will be taken against illegal food handlers.

Moreover, Doctor Patrick Musita, a Medical Health Officer from Kiminini Sub County dispelled fears and insisted that there are sufficient drugs, resources and staff to handle the cholera outbreak in the County, saying the cases already reported are being dealt with.

He said there is an awareness drive being conducted for the locals in order to prevent further cholera cases. He appealed to the residents to make sure they use safe water, preferably boiled water, as well as eating food that is cooked well.