Property worth thousands of shillings was destroyed on Sunday after a fierce inferno razed down a shop at Kipkaren Market in Turbo Sub County in Uasin Gishu County. Speaking to West Media Mrs. Nancy Mamboleo said the fire broke out on Sunday at about 9 am as she was preparing to open the shop.
She said her husband Julius Muchesia who normally opens the shop at 6 am, had left early in the morning to visit his mother in Kakamega as she remained behind to do household chores before she could open the shop when she was informed of the inferno.
“I was still at home washing clothes when my neighbour Vincent Masinde rang and informed me that my shop was on fire, a few minutes later I received several calls from different people before I rushed to the scene only to find all the building engulfed in fire,” said Mrs. Mamboleo.
She said the shop had property worth over Kshs. 200, 000 and nothing
was salvaged after the flames spread tremendously. Intervention by firefighters from Uasin Gishu County helped control the fire which was spreading toward a nearby petrol station.
Preliminary investigation indicates that the inferno which started from inside the shop might have resulted from electric fault. No injuries were reported in the incident.