Written by John Kabaka
Read 998 Times
Property worth millions of shillings was razed down in an inferno at the St Augustine Mukumu Boys Boarding Primary when the school’s two dormitories were reduced to ashes.
Nothing was recovered after the fire broke out at around 8 pm at the St Monica and St Charles dormitories at the school burning all the pupils’ property.
Luckily all pupils were attending their evening preps when the fire broke out, leaving no speculation of any injuries or any other accidents.
Fire fighting machines from the Kakamega Municipal Council and the West Kenya Sugar Company could not help much as they arrived after the fire had already caused the damage.
The machines though helped put off the fire that might have spread if left unattended to.
Also affected was a teachers’ house and a store which had 50 bags of maize and 30 bags of beans, The teacher’s house was fully razed and nothing was rescued.
“The fire broke out between the St Charles and the St Monica dormitories adjacent to one of the teachers houses,” said Mr. Shikote who was on duty by then.
The 85 pupils who used to stay in the now burnt dormitories were forced to seek refuge in classrooms and other dormitories in the school.
This is another tragedy that has befallen the Mukumu schools in recent times after two dormitories at the St. Ignatius Mukumu Boys High School were razed down by an inferno.
Switch to Our Mobile Site