Written by John Kabaka
Read 912 Times
The Nzoia Sugar Company stand at the Kakamega ASK exhibition which emerged the best in this 2012 event. [Photos | John Kabaka]
Nzoia Sugar Company scooped four top awards during this year’s Kakamega Agricultural Show exhibition, which attracted over 100 exhibitors compared to a lesser number in 2011, representing a more than 30 per cent increase.
The Nzoia Sugar-belt based miller bagged the first position being named as the best local manufacture and was named second in the following three categories: the large trade stand, the stand which interpreted the them very well and was the best ranked as the top agro based stand.
Nzoia Sugar Company was positioned second overall in this year's Kakamega ASK Regonal Show staving off stiff competition from other sugar companies which flexed their muscles intending to take the overall position.
Nzoia Sugar Company stand stood out, with impressive banners, tear drops, field demonstrations, and beautiful informational materials, among other informative items, that eventually were a crowd puller.
The stand was visited by Minister for Planning and Vision 2030, Hon Wycliffe Oparanya, and the assistant Minister for Labor, Hon Sospeter Ojamong, among other dignitaries.
Labor assistant Minister Sospeter O'jamoong signing the visitors book at the Nzoia stand when he visited the stand with him are the Comapny's staff and officials
The awards for the stand included: Local manufacturer stand in the ASK western branch (1st position), the Large trades stand (2nd position), the stand which best interpreted the theme (3rd position), the Best agricultural based stand (3rd position).
Not to forget the Nzoia sugar stand had the most striking display of local manufactured products ranging from pans, axes, hammers, jembes among other products
Agricultural Shows Participation
Through the years exhibitions have occupied a central place in the company’s outreach programme and that has largely been perceived as the gateway to the exposition of the corporate identity and as a conduit to reaching its various stakeholders.
Nzoia Sugar Company has participated in various shows and exhibitions in the past years, which are normally organized by the Agricultural Society of Kenya (ASK).
The company has participated in Kitale, Bungoma and Kakamega shows.
The battle for top honors during the annual regional event usually pits Nzoia Sugar Company whose vision is “To be globally competitive in production of sugar and other products” against other formidable trade exhibitors.
Trade exhibitors who annually pose a strong challenge to the Nzoia Sugar-belt based Nzoia Sugar Company include Kenya Seed Company (KSC), among others.
The show usually features local and foreign exhibitors.
Apart from being ranked top in various categories, Nzoia sugar company stand also came out unique and in a world of its own as it offered free voluntary and counseling and even HIV testing at their stand during show.
An aerial view of the Nzoia sugar belt.
Nzoia Sugar Company is located in Western Province Bungoma South District 5 Kilometers off the Webuye –Bungoma highway.
The Company serves over 48,000 farmers in the larger Bungoma, Kakamega and Lugari/Malava Districts.
The Company was established in 1975, under the Company’s Act Cap. 486 of the Laws of Kenya and issued a certificate of incorporation on 1st August 1975.
The Government is the majority shareholder owning 98% shares while Fives Cail Babcock (FCB) and Industrial Development Bank own the remaining 2%.
A display at the exhibition hall showing how sugar is processed.
NSC produces sugar and supports cane production through the provision of extension services to farmers with an extensive Company Nucleus Estate Covering 3600 ha and an out grower zone spanning more than 23,500 ha of cane.
The Sugar Company, 3 months ago, officially launched its new branded sugar competitively priced and parked in branded packets (yellow and green in color) of ¼, ½ kg, 1kg, 2kg, and bags of 5kgs, 10kgs, 25kgs and 50kgs to fit different pockets.
Switch to Our Mobile Site