Written by Eva Kimaiyo
Read 481 Times
The bed on which the three year old baby and his brother were sleeping whose beddings caught fire after a candle fell on it as their mother was out on a drinking spree. [PHOTO|Eva Kimaiyo|West Fm]
A three year old child was burnt to death after his beddings caught fire Wednesday night at Kipsongo slums in Trans Nzoia County.
Area chief Charles Namunyu said the deceased Brian Wekesa and his brother Dennis Wafula had been locked in the house by their mother, Josephine Mideva, who had gone on a drinking spree when the candle she had left to light the house, fell onto their beddings causing the fire.
"Their mother had gone to drink when the candle fell on the beddings and burnt the two kids with the third one escaping," said Mr. Namunyu.
The elder boy Jackson Simiyu aged five years was able to escape without any injuries and alerted the neighbours who rescued the younger boy before calling the police who arrived at the scene and took the injured boy to hospital.
The chief further said that the woman has been doing this for long whenever she wanted to go to drink late at night thus she will be arraigned in court for her negligence.
The body of the deceased is at Kitale district hospital mortuary.
Switch to Our Mobile Site