Mukumu Boys’ secondary school dorm burns
Written by John Kabaka
Read 3281 Times
The remains of the burned down St Judes' dormitory of Mukumu Boys.
St Ignatius Mukumu Boys’ Mukumu of Khayega in Kakamega County school dormitory, were destroyed by fire Wednesday night.
Fire fighters from Kakamega Municipal Council rushed to the school to contain the blaze with assistance from the students who helped contain the fire from spreading to the nearby dorms.
“We thank the Kakamega municipal council fire fighting unit that responded so fast and played a vital role in containing the fire,” said Omijah.
The fire started in one of the cubicles as students attended evening classes. Mattresses, beddings and other personal effects were destroyed before the fire could be contained.
"The students were in class when one of the security officers noticed smoke billowing from one of the cubicles," remarked a teacher who sought anonymity.
The fire is said to have been caused by an electric hitch in the affected dorm.
The Kakamega OCPD confirmed the incidents saying that no causalities were reported.
“Few students were rushed to the hospital as a result of bruises as some fell running out of the classes to see what was happening,” said Joseph Omijah, OCPD Kakamega.
The students who stay in the brought down St Jude’s dormitory sought alternative accommodation following the inferno.
The value of the damage could not be immediately ascertained though little was salvaged from the dormitory.
The school principal Dennis Munyendo described the incident as unfortunate and appealed to the area members of parliament to come in and help raise another home for the school boarders.
“It’s unfortunate that this happened here, it is indeed a loss and we now look upon our legislators to come on board and offer a helping hand,” said Munyendo.
The fire can be regarded as the first to occur in Kakamega County this year.