Why Mukumu, a question lingering as another dorm is gutted down at Mukumu Primary School
Written by John Kabaka
Read 556 Times
Barely two months after fire gutted down two dormitories belonging to St Augustine Mukumu Boarding Primary, the school has yet lost another dorm in flames, leaving a hard question no one is willing to answer, why just Mukumu.
The school is now experiencing another unfortunate happening after fire which no one can say its cause gutted down a dorm destroying thousands of property belonging to the pupils.
The fire which was extinguished by the Kakamega Municipal Council fire fighting machine has left many in the society wondering what might be wrong.
The around half past six fire caught the dorm when the pupils were in classes for morning preps.
No one got injured in the inferno.
“We were in preps when we heard some of us in other classes shout fire, fire, upon coming out the dorm was on fire and it is regret that we have lost so much, not more days after such a thing occurred here gain,” said one of the school pupils.
The dorm burnt was initially a dining hall which was converted into a dorm to take care of the pupils who used to reside in the two dorms that were burnt some time back.
Mukumu as a name is becoming popular but for all bad reason as many now identify the area with fire that guts down dormitories.
This year St Ignatius Mukumu Boys High School has lost three dormitories, the same number of dorms that the Sister School St Augustine Mukumu Boys Boarding Primary that has also lost via inferno.
Surprisingly, the same time that the Secondary School third dorm was in flames, is the same time the dorm at the primary school was in flames as well.
“Something must be wrong somewhere in this community, why is it that this could happen at the same time, morning hours when the pupils or students are not in the dorms, somebody might be involved and this is what in my opinion I can refer to assault or sabotage, something is wrong somewhere in this community,” said an irate villager who spoke to us.
Khayega ward Councilor Habert Sore also regretted the happening saying it was quite unfortunate that such could happen to a school with very god performance record.
He also said that it is a blow to the school’s parents who were doing something to bring up a dorm after the School lost two other earlier.
Sore said the community should come together with the education office, stakeholders to ascertain the major cause of what he called the ‘Mukumu Fires’.
He as well mentioned that the community together with the clergy should organize a prayer convention to pray and cleanse the region especially the schools.
“We need to come together with the church hear, pray and cleanse the schools; this is so unfortunate and we cannot allow it to go on happening,” said Sore.
He also regretted that such happenings may instill fear in parents and even pupils something he says might largely affect the performance of the school.