Methanol renders a student blind in Mt. Elgon District.
Written by Phanice Chepkemoi
Read 491 Times
A form four student from Moi High School Kaptama in Mt. Elgon District went blind after taking mentilated spirit (methanol) while at school.
The student, whose name is Caleb Tendet, 19 years old, admitted taking the mentilated spirit without knowing its consequences.
“I have been taking the spirit for a long time now with my friends but I have not been having any problem, it’s like I was addicted because I have tried severally to stop but I could not.” Caleb said
Speaking to West Fm at their home, he said that he took 15 ml of methanol then after few minutes he noticed he can’t see clearly.
“I ignored the changes thinking that it will disappear but it worsened until I could not see anymore,” the boy said.
According to the head teacher Mr. Jacob Psero, they have not purchased that kind of spirit for the last two years.
“He must have bought it somewhere else,” Said Psero.
The boy’s mother Mrs. Juliet Tendet whose is a widow and the bread winner of the family says that Caleb was his only hope because he was among the top students.
“I had hopes on him because I was sure he would pass his exams and one day help me out from this life,” she said
He is now on medication after being taken to Sabatia Eye Mission Hospital for treatment.
His mother is now appealing to well-wishers to help his son where possible so that he can go back to school.