Fire has destroyed student’s properties of unknown value at St. Mark Orthodox Chavogere Secondary in Sabatia Sub County, Vihiga County.
According to the school’s principal Kennedy Kayela, the fire that stated at 8.pm was caused by an electric fault in the dormitory housing form 1 and 2 boys.
“After the consumer power unit was blown, the inferno spread in the dorms before students and teachers managed to put it out,” said Kayela.
He said the students lost books, uniforms, mattresses and boxes and nothing was salvaged in the dorm after the inferno.
The burnt dormitory accommodated 46 students both in form one and two and no casualty was reported.
PTA chairman Rueben Aluvisia who visited the school said the 46 students had lost all their properties saying parents were at a loss.
“The parents have struggled to pay fees. It is in this spirit that we call all well wishers and government to help us,” said Aluvisia.
He said the fire which gutted their dormitory is a big loss especially now that the students were waiting for their end year exams after the prolonged strike.
They were speaking to the press Wednesday the 14th of October in the school compound after the fire was put out and parents checked in to inquire what had transpired.