Men from the 9 Yearly Meetings under the Friends Church Kenya gathered to engage in a broad range of Christian Quaker Ministries in five Counties of Busia, Bungoma, Kakamega Uasin Gishu and Trans Nzoia.
The Conference ran from January 4th to 8th, where over 30 Quaker men from every Yearly Meeting gathered for the Northern Region 6th Biennial Quaker men Conference hosted by Kamusinga Yearly Meeting at Maliki Boys High School in Bungoma County.
The Quaker movement continues to grow rapidly in most regions of Western Kenya.
The meeting focused on how to provide support pillars to the Friends Church. The gathering also offered an opportunity to worship together as Quaker Men.
While Quaker men have been in existence as long as the church existed, caucusing and eventually making if the Conference is in the sixth season.
This year’s theme “is being submissive to God”, taken from the book of James 4:1
The key speaker at the Conference was Pastor Modley Sifuna, General Superintendent, FCK Quaker men Kenya – Kaimosi.
The 9 Yearly Meetings are:
- Lugulu Yearly Meeting headed by President Solomon Atonya and Pastor Tom Simiyu
- Tongaren Yearly Meeting headed by President Norbert Wanyonyi and Pastor Protus Lubisia
- Soy Yearly Meeting headed by President Jonathan Vadanga and Pastor Japheth Mulati
- Lugari Yearly Meeting headed by President Bro. Injera and Pastor John Muyira
- Elgon East Yearly Meeting headed by President Fanuel Murere and Pastor Eliud Ingwe
- Kamusinga Yearly Meeting headed by President Fred Wasike and Pastor Bernard Nyukuri
- EAYM North headed by President Kenneth Indusa and Pastor George Walukhu
- West Yearly Meeting headed by President Jason Wekesa and Pastor Benson Masinde
- Chwele Yearly Meeting headed by President Benson Chemiati and Pastor Ben Nasikungu
Speaking to our reporter at Maliki High School, the Kamusinga President who is the host expressed confidence that the results from the Conference will go a long way in giving direction to the Quaker man and encourage him to be more involved.
“This Quaker Meeting allows the individual and the group to receive guidance, transformation and joy from the spiritual source within each one of us. Friends have testimonies which encourage equality, truthfulness, simplicity, peace and social justice,” he said
From their childhood, Quaker men have been encouraged to be sensitive, tender and peaceful, while Quaker Women have been taught to be strong and assertive.
Friends Church of Kenya (FCK) is a union of all Yearly Meetings in Kenya. The country has a total of 23 Yearly Meetings.
- Highland – Kisii
- EAYM North
- EAYM Kaimosi
- Elgon East
By Caleb Kitui