A staffroom burnt at Kambi Mapesa primary school in Likuyani

0
50
Kambi Mapesa primary school parents after the fire incident
Kambi Mapesa primary school parents after the fire incident

Property worth thousands of shillings was destroyed after a fire broke out in the staffroom at Kambi Mapesa Primary School in Likuyani Sub County.

According to the school head teacher Mr. Henry Chirchir the fire was started by an unknown arsonist through a window after breaking a windowpane on the back side of the staffroom.

He said the fire destroyed 773 Competence Based Curriculum text books and furniture among other property estimated at thousands of shillings.

Kambi Mapesa primary school pupils after the school administration block was burnt
Kambi Mapesa primary school pupils after the school administration block was burnt

“Someone broke the windowpane and lit the books,” said Mr. Chirchir, adding that a piece of burnt match stick was found near the window.

The school Board of management chairman, Bernard Endegwa said he received a call from the head teacher to assess the damage.

“I found the school had been set on fire, CBC books for pupils and teachers, chairs reduced to ashes. Glass window was broken using stones and the shelf which accommodates the books was lit and thus destroying them. Someone lit the match box since the power circuit is still intact and safe,” he revealed.

Brian Mafunga, Member of County Assembly for Likuyani ward condemned the incident adding that the incident has affected learning.

Security team, leaders and parents at Kambi Mapesa primary school after the incident
Security team, leaders and parents at Kambi Mapesa primary school after the incident

“CBC books for learners have been burned. Furniture and the staffroom have been destroyed. We shall have an education stakeholders meeting to chant on how we can help the learners,” he noted.

The MCA appealed for a thorough investigation into the incident that will ensure suspects are apprehended and prosecuted in court.

He asked leaders from the region to help the school get a modern administration block to ensure a conducive learning environment and also have fire resistance furniture.

“The current staffroom is congested and not conducive for teachers, ” noted Mafunga.