Candidate dies shortly before KCPE exams starts

Grief has gripped Kambi Mapesa Primary School in Likuyani Sub County
of Kakamega County following the death of a candidate who was expected
to sit for this year’s Kenya Certificate of Primary Education (KCPE).

Likuyani Sub County Director of Education, Mr. David Munialo confirmed
the sad incident which occurred on Tuesday morning, just hours to
official start of the KCPE examination.

The deceased, Miriam Khaveleli, passed on at about 12.10 am at Lugulu
Mission Hospital in Bungoma where she had been referred for further
treatment, according to her mother, Mrs. Mary Ayuma.

Speaking to West Media  at their home in Kampi Mapesa on Tuesday
evening, Ayuma recounted events leading to the daughter’s demise,
which has left family members, relatives and community in sorrow and

According to Ayuma, the daughter development breathing complications
accompanied with high fever Thursday last week.

The late Khaveleli was taken to Turbo Health Centre, where she was
diagnosed with malaria and treated before she was discharged.

“However, her condition did not show signs of improving, but instead
deteriorated from bad to worse, forcing us to rush her to Lumakanda
County Hospital on Sunday where doctors failed to identify the problem
despite putting her on various diagnostic tests,” remembered Ayuma.

It was then that the doctors referred Khaveleli, who was in critical
condition, to Lugulu Mission Hospital for meningitis check up.

“The same scenario played out at Lugulu where concerted efforts by
doctors again failed to diagnose the exact ailment that finishing my
child, “added the tearful mother, recalling how medical practitioners
had raised hope about the possibility of the daughter sitting for the
exams from the facility.

Mr. Zachariah Shitamani Muhazi, father to the deceased was too devastated.

Sending his message of condolence to the bereaved, Munialo described
the deceased as a hardworking pupil who was expected to register good
marks in this year’s KCPE.

The deceased was index number five in the school.

By time of going to press, the body was still at Lugulu Mission
Hospital pending clearance of medical bill before being removed to
Chebaiywa Funeral Home in Uasin Gishu County.