With the government deadline for the registration for Huduma Namba set on 18th May, Interior CS Fred Matiang’i has affirmed that there will be no extension of the exercise. Speaking at Harambee House on Monday, CS Matiang’i said so far 31 million Kenyans have registered in the countrywide exercise. “There are no plans to extend this registration exercise at all…There are budgetary implications to it,” he said.
He said that registration timelines have been extended from 6:00 am to 6:00 pm, making it easier for Kenyans who have to report to work early to register. However, he revealed the difficulties Kenyans may experience after Saturday, May 18th if they fail to register within the government’s set deadline. He said the registration kits will be with the assistant chief, who will have more pressing issues to focus on and people may be forced to individually look for him, “Every Kenyan should be advised to take advantage of the mass registration period right now.”
He added that no one will be forced to register, but Kenyans should be smart to know the importance of the Huduma Namba in light of the technological era which means services are easily accessed without the so-called papers.
ICT CS Joe Mucheru echoed his sentiments, “In this day and age we are all using technology…look at the impact M-Pesa and all mobile money services have had in the country,” he said, “We want to ensure that we are not analogue in one part, you can’t be identified and yet you want to use many other services,” he said, adding rendering services and identification will be easier.