Trans Nzoia County Commissioner Jim Njoka has ruled out the
possibilities of electric faults that may have caused fire outbreaks that razed down two dormitories at St. Joseph’s Girls High School and one at St. Joseph’s Boys High School in Kitale. The first fire outbreak at St. Joseph’s Girls happened on Tuesday night while students were in class for the evening studies and a dormitory that housed 42 students was razed down. Another fire broke out on Wednesday morning, at around 9 am, burning another dormitory. At St. Joseph’s Boys, the dormitory was razed on Tuesday night.
Commissioner Njoka has ordered security agencies in the County to dig
deeper and come up with some tangible evidence that will help unearth the truth concerning the fire outbreaks, promising to take stern
action against those culpable. “Preliminary reports from the Kenya power and Lighting Company have indicated that the fire wasn’t caused by an electric fault. There is more that needs to be done to find out the real cause of the fire outbreaks in the two schools and I promise the law will take its course,” said Njoka.
He said no one will be spared when investigations are complete, whether they are students, teachers or non-teaching staff. He urged parents to be close to their children and take charge when it comes to instilling discipline, adding that many parents have passed over the burden of disciplining their children to the teachers. 41 St. Joseph’s Girls High School students were rushed to Kitale Level Four Hospital as a result of the outbreak and were treated , some with minor injuries, while it was established that some had inhaled the fumes.