Nairobi Governor Mike Sonko has been released on a bond of Kshs 30 million, a surety of a similar amount or a cash bail of Kshs 15 million. The Governor-who was arrested last week on Friday in Voi and taken to court after being airlifted to Nairobi-together with other accused persons who include Nairobi County government officers were implicated in a Kshs 357 million graft case. The accused persons appeared before chief magistrate Douglas Ogoti at the Milimani law Courts facing different charges ranging from conflict of interest, abuse of office, breaking procurement laws among others.
In the Wednesday ruling, the Governor has also been barred from accessing his office, “If need be he can be escorted to his office by the investigating officer in this case or ay other authorized officer to enable him access and pick his belongings, this will also happen to other County employees charged,” said Ogoti. He said the Governor should also ensure his supporters don’t disrupt any non legal process or disrupt peace. All accused were directed to deposit their passports or travel documents in court and barred from communicating and approaching any witness in whatever manner.
On Monday, the Director of Public Prosecutions, represented by James Kihara and Gitonga Riungu had opposed his release on bail, saying that the Governor might interfere with investigations and intimidate witnesses if released. However, Sonko’s legal team, led by lawyer Cecil Miller maintained that the Governor should be granted bail, and that he was assaulted by police officers during his arrest. He also opposed the notion that the Governor might intimidate witnesses if released. Sonko had been taken to Kenyatta National Hospital on Monday night for treatment from Kamiti Prison where he had been remanded.