For some Kenyans the point of the Huduma Namba isn’t yet nailed home, and many aren’t sure how the number will help given that most government services are connected to the national ID. For others, the fear of the unknown has pushed them to register, even though personal registration will still be open, albeit at the assistant chief’s place, after close of the mass registration process. Others, however, are registering for the Huduma Namba without any excuses, doing it out of adherence to the government’s instruction.
On Friday, the long queues not only reminded Kenyans of their love for last minute rushes, but also a change of heart for some, who had earlier opted not to register. President Uhuru Kenyatta’s extension announcement was a relief for many, and as he said it, “Kenyans are determined to register for Huduma Namba.” The Head of State on Friday evening said he had observed with concern the long queues that formed during the final days, prompting the extension to next week Saturday, May 25th.
Many Kenyans had already asked for an extension, and he said he had obliged to numerous requests to give them an opportunity to do so. It remains to be seen whether the long queues will still be evident till Saturday or some will wait for the penultimate day to fill the lines again.