Meja insists licenses of 14 seater matatus accessing Nairobi CBD won’t be renewed

30
NTSA Director General Francis Meja
NTSA Director General Francis Meja

National Transport and Safety Authority (NTSA) Director General Francis Meja has insisted that the government will not renew the licenses of 14-seater matatus that intend to access the Nairobi CBD. Last month, the association of matatu operators condemned the plan to ban the 14-seater matatus from accessing the CBD, and on Friday, matatu owners moved to court to challenge the government’s decision. 24 saccos faulted the government of ignoring their concerns and noted that the government’s plan intends to usher in the Rapid Bus Transport Scheme yet there is no legislative framework for its implementation. However, NTSA Director General Meja has insisted the licenses won’t be renewed, “We are saying for Nairobi all those 14-seaters, low capacity buses that want licenses renewed, we are not renewing those licenses,”.

He added that the government gave the PSV operators a space of five years from 2010 and a legal notice was issued outlining that after the five years, the licenses won’t be renewed. The NTSA boss said an efficient transport system needs high occupancy buses, not just limited to BRTs, “The congestion we see in this city, we must move towards mass rapid transport.” However, he noted that the number of 14-seater matatus accessing the Nairobi CBD hasn’t been that big, since the authority hasn’t been licensing them for some time now. He said the process of public participation on the matter has been done already, and a report will be made and presented to parliament.