Former Sports CS and Kenya’s ambassador to Austria Hassan Wario, former NOCK chairperson Kipchoge Keino have been arrested by the police after they surrendered to the DCI. The two, together with other five former sports officials including former Sports PS and Kenya’s ambassador to Russia Richard Ekai are facing graft charges related to the Kshs 55 million Rio scandal. On Monday, Richard Ekai, former deputy treasurer NOCK Stephen Soi, and former NOCK secretary general Francis Kanyili appeared before chief magistrate Douglas Ogoti and pleaded not guilty to the charges, while the other accused weren’t present. As a result, Ogoti directed them to present themselves to the DCI by Thursday 6:00 am and be present in court on Friday, “Failure to present themselves before the DCI, warrants of arrests be issued,” Ogoti said. In a bid to beat the deadline, they presented themselves to the DCI around 5:30 on Thursday morning and after processing, they were arrested. The other two suspects were also arrested after they turned themselves in.
The Director of Public Prosecutions had earlier outlined that there is sufficient evidence to charge the seven accused suspects for misappropriation of over Kshs 55 million, money meant to cater for the athletes during the Rio Olympics. He said after the DCI received a report on December 2016 from Kenyan athletes on an alleged misappropriation of funds meant for the team in Rio, Brazil, the DCI office undertook investigations and established that various offences were committed in the manner in which the funds allocated for the Rio Olympic games were managed.
Haji said the seven could have overseen the embezzlement of Kshs 22.5 million, incurring expenditure on unauthorized persons amounting to Kshs 6.59 million, purchase of air tickets which were not utilized amounting to Kshs 16.8 million, and over payment of allowances amounting to Kshs 15.9 million.