Tension high in Kandahar village in Turbo after father and son are burnt to death

The genesis of the problem on November 28th drew the attention of residents who flocked to the compound

Tension is high in Kandahar village, Ngenyilel location in Turbo sub county Uasin Gishu County following the murder of an old man and his son who were burnt to death by mourners on Sunday evening in a revenge mission.

The incident follows a previous one where two people were killed and four injured after a fight erupted between members of one family and police officers who had gone to arrest assault suspects about ten days ago.

Trouble began when friends, relatives and family members of the late Andrew Wanyika Indeche who was slashed to death as police officers watched on the 28th November 2020, had removed his remains from Kimbilio mortuary for burial on Monday and decided to pass at the scene where he was murdered with an intention to perform some rituals before they could proceed to his home but the convoy was attacked by the victims.

The old man together with the son attacked the deceased’s brother with a machete and slashed him severally, a move that angered other mourners who confronted the two but managed to escape and locked themselves inside their house.

However the charged crowd of mourners decided to pour petrol on the house and set it on fire, burning the two inside.

Wanyika was assaulted by two brothers mid last month and after receiving treatment and obtaining a p3 form he led police officers from Kipkaren station to the suspects’ home before the entire family ran wild and attacked and slashed him to death as the police watched.

The family then turned on the officers, cutting one of them on the hand and prompting the second officer to shoot and kill one of them on the spot as one escaped with bullet injuries.

The mother and other sons also sustained machete injuries in the process as they scrambled to cut Indeche.

The incident angered residents who decided to torch the suspects’ house vowing never to allow them back in the village. However the old man and his elder son who were not present during the previous incident had just returned to the village before they met the cruel death.

Police officers from Turbo station removed the bodies and took them to Kimbilio mortuary as Indeche’s family went on with the burial plans and buried him very early on Monday morning.

The Sunday evening incident brings the total death to four with one family losing father and his two sons. Also six people are nursing injuries from the incident.

Confirming the incident, Uasin Gishu County police commander Ali Gitonga said police have been deployed in the area to restore peace and investigate the incident.