Fierce inferno razes down a house in Lugari
Property valued at over Ksh. 300, 000 was reduced to ashes Thursday night after a fierce inferno razed down a house belonging to a resident at Kavulika village in Munyuki sub location, Lugari Sub County with the owner and his grandson escaping death by a whisker.
Speaking to West Media, the homestead’s owner, Mzee Fred Onzengo, narrated how the inferno exploded few minutes before midnight as they were sleeping.
The 66 years old widower said after a busy day he was so tired and went to bed early leaving his 11 years old grandson who is a standard six pupil at Lumakanda DEB primary school studying.
At around 10:30 pm he said he heard a strong bang outside, he woke up and surveyed around but there was nothing before he went back to sleep.
He said few minutes to midnight he was woken up by his grandson screaming for help after being awoken by severe heat inside the house only to be shocked to see flames of fire in the grandson’s bedroom.
“I was deep asleep when I was awakened by my grandson crying for help, I rose up and dashed in his room only to find it engulfed in a big smoke and flames of fire, I struggled hard to rescue him and finally managed to save his life” said Mzee Onzengo.
The two jumped out but the fire spread tremendously giving them no chance to save anything as their distress call did not attract attention of their immediate relatives and neighbours who arrived minutes later after the house had been gutted down.
“I have only been left with this cloth on my body since I could not save anything from my house,” said the old man adding property worth over Ksh. 300,000 was destroyed.
See also, Fire guts down 200 bags of maize in Likuyani.
Though the victim was yet to establish the exact cause of the fire, preliminary investigation has hinted it might have been resulted from a tin lamp after the grandson slept forgetting to put it off after use.
The old man said tragedies had befallen him saying prior to the fire incident his dairy cow had fallen ill abruptly and died that evening.